Monday 5 May 2014

Distraction techniques

Today was a pretty stressful day - a big job interview that I really, really wanted to go well... and while that is definitely part of today's blogging adventure, it is not what I want to talk about at all.

Over the weekend, as I was increasingly getting wound up over said interview, I decided it's time to go for a walk. A long walk, to get those worries out of my system. Besides, I have doggies who need the exercise, and it was the most beautiful Saturday afternoon. I headed to Hedianga farm - I'll put their facebook page at the end.

Finding the way there is a pleasant trip away (due East) from the hustle and bustle of the Menlyn park area, into affluent Olympus. This is a fairly new development, and tall walls, imposing security gates and bored looking security men means that you can't see a thing inside of it, but there is a golf course, horses, palatial houses and more topiary than in most manicured parks.

Don't get me wrong, it's not easy to put that interview out of my mind. A well kept topiary is pretty distracting, but as I drive, I'm listing some of the most notable theorists in medical anthropology to myself. Paul Farmer, Nancy Scheper-Huges, Margaret Locke ... heroes of mine, names I have written deeply in my internal library of reference works.

Of course, I nearly miss the well marked, clearly visible and nearly unmissable entrance. But, no one is around to see my generous turn, and after paying my entrance fee, we're off on the 5 km route.

4 pm this time of year is the loveliest time of day. Long shadows as the sun dips low over the horison. It's not cold, not hot, just right. Just right for those two as well, sniffing away. As they sniff, I think about my teaching statement, how I cheekily called UNISA an open-distance e-learning university, and not simply an open distance learning one. That little e is pretty significant, I have it on good authority they want to be fully online by 2015/2016, and I'm banking a lot of my application on the fact that they'd appreciate someone who is both comfortable and capable in an online setting.

We missed the turn off on to the path we were following. They're all clearly marked with arrows, red, yellow and green, one for each route. There's a 5, 10 and a 15 km route - it's a large farm for how close to the city it is! Ah, well, the sun sets at about 6, it's only 5 kms, no problem to stop and take a picture as the doggies come running when I call them back to get on the right path.
Why should UNISA hire me, I wonder? They're going to ask - after all, that's the whole point of an interview. Saying "because I meet your job criteria as set out in your advertisement" isn't really going to cut it. I am terrible at this sort of thing. It's a skill, you can practice and get better ... so, perhaps what I should point out is that I am hardworking, diligent, motivated to do research and to publish in my field. Er... Look at that pretty aloe!

They're just starting to bloom, and they're everywhere. There were sunbirds too, in their winter browns already. The flora that really caught my attention was the baboontail plants, though.
Heh, excuse the slightly corny 'solar flare' - it's honestly got. What impressed me is that some of these plants (they were all over the hill) were actually big enough to use as a broom. I think these are the biggest ones I've seen in such quantities yet.

Of course, I can't really let my mind wander too far from that interview. I have to be as well prepared as I can. UNISA has dedicated themselves to what they call the 11C's +1. 11 Key terms (like cooperation and communication, conservation and conversation) and the +1, courage. I have a mind to memorise them, but I am not sure if that will really make any difference. Security in lists, maybe? Something about structure and order that makes me feel more secure.

Like this pylon, one of a series that passes through the farm.
Pretty in the late afternoon, isn't it? I've always found them rather attractive, especially when the light comes in at an angle making dark shadows and bright highlights. Miniature Eiffel towers, each one. They're also the lifeblood of our world. None of our everyday conveniences would be possible without the electricity these structures make possible. They may yet cause cancer, but then, most radiation in some form or another would, and we're surrounded, so I'm not going to be too concerned. Except in the sense that only a select few of our citizens can afford cancer treatment, and that as a medical anthropologist, this sort of thing is something you can help change.

Which, of course, segues right back into worrying about Monday. An interview room is not my natural environment - a fairly ironic statement for an anthropologist. I guess it's more fun on the other side of the table. Speaking of natural environment, Kira blossoms on these walks.
In her heart, she's a jackal. The veld, the rocky hills with their small creatures and long grasses, is her home. She runs, bounces, chases, hops and just in general delights in the freedom. She doesn't go too far, and her recall is solid, so I love watching her run and play.

Talos enjoys the hiking too, but she sticks much, much closer. She has a lovely smile.
Unless, of course, there's mud. She loves mud. She runs and splashes, makes a massive mess of herself. We found a muddy stream at the far end of the farm. We also found that it was by then, nearly six. Surely we'll be back to the car soon? Either way, we'll hurry. Run a bit, walk a bit, run a bit ...

Why is the path just continuing?

At the entrance of the farm, there is a sign indicating the colour arrow that each route is marked in. Green, yellow and red. 5 km, 10 km, and 15 km. We wanted to take the 5 km  route - which somehow, in my mind, was the red arrow.

It was pitch dark when I got back to the car, after a truly kind gate guard came and walked the last bit with me. 15 kilometers in 2 hours and 20 minutes.
Zzzzz.....
Talos, my thoughts exactly.

Hedianga's details are all on their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/hedianga.farm

No comments:

Post a Comment